Muffler Rail Felt

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:24:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Patrick C Poulson <pcpoulso@pacbell.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 1:57 PM
Subject: Muffler Rail Felt

> Hello All: A minor request here. I have a customer who wants the muffler
> rail felt replaced on her old upright.  Does anyone know if local fabric
> stores would possible carry a similiar type of felt, or am I going to have
> to order it from the supply house? I would normally order it from the
supply
> house, but just put in an order yesterday for other stuff, and am
reluctant
> to make a order for just one $4 item if possible.  Yes, I could wait for
my
> next cumulative order, but just thought someone may have found an adequate
> substitute. Thanks, Patrick Poulson

I'm doing the same job for a customer next week.  She uses the muffler all
the time and I'm wondering how to extend the life of the material.  It
probably doesn't even have to be felt.  I wonder if old jeans would last
longer? The felt sold as muffler rail felt sure wears out fast -- it's
thinner and less dense than the original, in most cases.  But yes, a fabric
store would probably have some felt that would work, but you might have to
buy a yard, which would be enough for many pianos.
    I don't think the old stuff is going to come off the aluminum rail very
easily (this is a contemporary console).  If it doesn't,  I plan to cut the
old felt off, but leave a half inch or so to glue the new felt to, with cold
hide glue, or if that doesn't work, then contact cement or rubber cement.
David Nereson, RPT,
Denver