Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 03:12:12 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 5:25 PM

  List,
  =20
  Serviced a 1922 Vose upright today.  Rediculous loose tuning pins.  =
Not all, just a select group.  Pins range from very tight to "don't =
leggo that hammer or it'll come back and gitcha!!"
  =20
  I tapped in the worst offenders with a punch and "handy hammer."  I'm =
wondering how permanent a fix tapping in loose pins can be.  I'm also =
wondering if there are other fixes that are as or more permanent that I =
am unaware of, short of using oversize pins, shimming, etc.  I ask the =
question this way, 'cause I don't think the client is going to want to =
pay a whole lot.  So - I guess I'm looking for the best, quick-fix, =
cheap solution, for loose pins.  Thanks everyone.
  =20
  William R. Monroe
  PTG Associate
  Salt Lake City, UT

      There's a tool (Schaff p. 46, #108) called a tuning pin setter =
that lets you keep the string up to pitch while you tap the pin in -- =
keeps the other side of the unison from going way flat.  You can tap in =
only until the coil hits the plate or pinblock of course.  It'll last =
for a while unless the pinblock dries out further.  Yes there are other =
fixes, namely the ones you mention -- putting in a larger pin, shimming =
the hole with a little strip of sandpaper, using the tuning pin hole =
sleeves, which almost no techs are impressed with, or treating with =
pinblock dope or CA glue.   The last two are probably the quickest & =
cheapest, but the best would be a hardwood plug and/or new oversize =
tuning pin.  If the owner isn't willing to pay much, s/he can't expect =
much in the way of results.  --David Nereson, RPT, Denver