Opening a can of worms again

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 04:41:28 -0700

 > Also,  Can anyone comment on which temperament of tuning is the most
solid
> and stable?  I would like my tunings to last the longest time possible.
Is
> ET best for tuning stability?  Or is there another temperament which is
> best for tuning stability?
 > Thanks!
  > David A. Vanderhoofven
> Joplin, MO

    I don't see how the temperament itself would have anything to do with
stability, at least not after the initial re-tuning of the piano from ET to
some other temperament.  Some notes are being raised and some lowered, just
like any other tuning.  The stability of the tuning is more dependent on:
the tuning pins being set, the tension in the various string segments being
equalized, the piano's already being stabilized at some pitch level such as
A=440,  the tightness of the pins in the block, how heavily the piano is
played, and most importantly, the stability of the climate in the room where
the piano is.  --David Nereson, RPT