ET...go home

Tom Dickson td_tuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 04:34:35

Hello, All!

pianolover88@hotmail.com (pianolover 88) writes:

If "WT" or ANYthing other than ET is so much better, in your opinion, than
why, I wonder, is ET so universally employed as the "standard?" I'm more
than open to hearing your thoughts.
<snip>
Terry

  I do not know Terry, have had no correspondence with him, and do not wish
to cause him in any way to be upset by my comments.

  The opening of this statement caught my eye because universality of use
was the argument for appropriateness.

  Here's a situation with some similarities:

  In the early days of the typewriter, a layout of the keys, called Dvorak,
was designed to be extremely functional and fast.  It is said to have been
so fast that the mechanical typing devices of the day could not keep up with
the typists, and the machines constantly jammed.
   The solution was to create a new keyboard layout - now referred to as
QWERTY ( see the beginning of the upper left side of the second row of keys
).  Supposedly, this created some compromises which put several letter keys
in awkward positions which effectively slowed typists down and thus created
fewer jams.
   Can today's keyboards handle the Dvorak speed?  Most certainly.  Does
anyone use this layout?  Yes, there is some use of it in areas of the world.
   But, QWERTY is most widely used and universally accepted.  Is it better?
No.  But, it is established, there are all types of training available for
it, most offices expect its use, etc.  Inertia stops the change from
happening.
   This is not a reflection on ET in whole.  It is only an argument refuting
the idea that "widely used proves superiority".  Just food for thought.

Sincerely,
Tom Dickson