hitch pins

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:36:01 -0800

I have a Hoffman piano (my book lists several Hoffman types, but not =
this one, so I don't know the year, probably 1910-1920), previously a =
player, with badly ringing strings starting about C6.  I isolated =
several strings and determined that pressing against the hitch pins =
eliminated the problem.  In the past I have made improvement by gently =
tapping hitch pins in and/or using epoxy on them. =20
  My question is, what kind of danger do I run by tapping in these pins. =
 Am I likely to split the bridge? =20
Other considerations??

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR