ET...go home

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:29:54 EST

In a message dated 3/5/02 8:51:29 PM Central Standard Time, jonpage@attbi.com
(Jon Page) writes:

> The first chord, "WOW". He proceeded to rip through some music commenting on
> how
> open the music sounded. He tried the same piece on the A (ET). Although the
> A is a far better piano
> than the tired old L, the consensus was that the WT sounded better.  The
> violinist asked if I could tune
> the festival this summer in WT.  Can do.
>
> Comparing thirds between the WT and ET I think has made a few converts.
>
> Nothing like side by side comparison.
>
> I don't think I will give an option of WT over ET. Just do it.  What's the
> ?

I'm so glad to read of these experiences.  More and more people seem to be
having them.  You are not the first piano technician, Jon, who really didn't
enjoy tuning all that much but as soon as the HT discovery was made, the
interest is suddenly there as never before.

I hope you'll go on to refine your idea of what makes the modern piano sound
best for any type of music and also discover some stronger temperaments which
may have more limited applications.

I'll bet that the temperament you're using also has some of the same Equal
Beating properties as my own idea does.  The way to refine your Bass tuning
is to tune the octave first, then play the note which is a 6th above the
lower note of the octave and the lower note of the octave together.  Now play
the note which is a Major 3rd below that note which forms the 6th and the
note which forms the 6th together.  Compare beating.  Adjust the lower note
slightly sharp or flat until both the 3rd and the 6th beat exactly the same.

This should still leave a good sounding octave, 4th and 5th.  You will be
able to do this for at least half of the notes, those with the 5th which is
tempered more than in ET.  You may be able to on other notes too.  When you
find a combination which is too different to be resolved, simply concentrate
on getting the best compromise between the 4th, 5th and octave.  You can do
this refining all the way down to C2 and sometimes even lower.

This will give the piano an incredibly harmonious and pleasant vibrato.  Yes,
you'll have to use your ears but your program should get you close enough
that most of it is correct anyway.  You'll be able to distinguish what can be
refined if you take the time to listen carefully.  If you make an aural
correction that doesn't work out, you can always return to the program's
suggestion.

You can make similar refinements in the upper octaves as well.  See the
article in my website on "Tempered Octaves".  You should be able to hear
exactly the same compromise as your SAT will reveal.

Keep up the good work and discoveries.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin