Front Duplex

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@attbi.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:04:46 -0800

Kevin,
My two cents worth is that the capo bar should be reshaped to a smaller =
radius at the contact point. This will allow the wire to dig in a little =
and effectively terminate the wire more than it is right now. What you =
are hearing now is excessive bleed thru. The front duplex obviously was =
designed for some type of noise, er, sound to be produced by that =
wondrous front duplex, but if you look at really old Steinways the capo =
seems to be much sharper than current production models. If you try the =
sharper radius on some Asian pianos it won't work as well because the =
capo seems much harder metal to deal with.

Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@attbi.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: Piano Tech List=20
  Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 5:33 PM
  Subject: Front Duplex

      I have a question for the list.

      What exactly is the proper fix for the "singing of the Steinway =
Angels"
  in the front tuned duplex, that is, when they get a little too carried =
away?
      I had a customer today which was complaining about a kind of =
papery
  noise on a few notes in the killer octave (naturally) area of the =
keyboard.
  It was a Steinway M. It wasn't until it was tuned fully that the =
problem
  became apparent to me. By that time all the other stuff had been =
cleared up
  enough to hear. The front duplexes on some of the long waste end notes =
had a
  kind of zing to them.
      What I did to try to get rid of them was to level the strings =
really
  well while also lifting up on the duplex side of the capo bar to get a =
solid
  seating on both sides of it. When I got done there was still a little =
noise
  there, so I had to do some needling near the crown.
      Is what I did correct? Is there a better way? Am I missing =
something
  here? It worked this time. I really don't like the idea of muting the =
front
  duplex unless I have exhausted every other recourse first. Of course, =
  don't like having to deal with these kind of issues on a piano which =
the
  customer paid so much money for, either.

  Kevin E. Ramsey
  ramsey@extremezone.com