Symphony Piano Sale

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:04:30 EST

List, et al

The piano store that has been supplying the university (Alabama) for the last
10 years has just informed us he is pulling out at the end of the school
year. We have 12 pianos in use now. I don't know what we are going to do to
replace those 12, as all of them are in critical positions. We do have some
options, but it will no doubt cost us some money, money that should be used
in other areas.

>From what I have been told, the university sale last year resulted in only 11
pianos being sold. The dealer didn't even have the sale at the university. It
was held in his store. That kind of sale was also being done in St. Louis,
before I left. The store announced, "A sale so huge, it can only happen at
our store." Meaning, it was not worth it to the store to move all those
pianos to the school.

University/symphony sales have been going on for almost 15 years now.
Although the store sponsoring these sales do sell more pianos in one or two
weekends than the store usually sells in a month or two, I think it is
getting to the saturation point. I also think the word has gotten out that
the "deals" at these sales aren't any better than what the consumer can get
at the store. It is ashamed that some of the sales tactics have been less
than desirable. It has given the entire industry a bad name. As far as
servicing these pianos, again, if you have a problem with the dealer, I
believe that the dealers that sponsored the sales are no worse or better in
providing service than what you get for a piano that was sold out of the
store.

Although, like some of you, I was against them at first, I have come to
realize that the impact these sales have on the community, in the way of
getting more pianos in homes, is worth the occasional bad apple, so to speak.
Therefore, as I said in my first post, as technicians I think we should
support these sales. It means more business for us in the long run. If you
have a complaint about a certain dealer, then report that to the "proper
authorities."

Wim