More reactions to temperaments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 05:14:57 EST

Greetings List,
   I am forwarding two pieces of mail I got today.  They may provide food for
thought or possibly more fuel for the fire
    The first is from a customer of mine in distant city whose pianos I keep
in the Broadwood tunings.  I would have thought Ravel to be a little out of
the focus, but the artist(I am trying to find their name) seems to have other
ideas!
The second was recently posted to the "Ludwig" list by one of their members.
Does anybody know the specifics of the Brendel recordings?  It would be very
interesting if some of the "biggies" were using WT and not saying anything
about it......
Regards,
Ed Foote

Dear Ed,
>The international concert pianist played Ravel all night long and she
>loved the Steinway with the temperament.  Slight problem with damper pedal
>when using all 3 pedals and going between those but she worked around.
>She liked the sound so much that she did not mind the work-around but I
>suppose I need you to look at.  I know what's occurring; it does not
>occur consistently

>To the Ludwig list:
>After I listened to "Beethoven in the Temperaments" I had another listen
>the "recent" boxed set from Brendel, and it sounds like most of the sonatas
>(with the exception of the "live" recordings - op 10 #1,2&3, and 106) are
>performed on a "well-tuned" instrument as well. I'd noticed the unusual
>resonance when I first listened to it a year ago, and also that the tuning
>of the piano seemed different. In comparing E. Katahn's "Waldstein" to
>Brendel's latest recording of that sonata, I noticed the same tonal
>variations which made me wonder about the tuning. This is especially
>noticable in the later sonatas; op 109, 110, & 111 especially have a
>quality I've never heard in other recordings  of these works, even by
>Brendel. This would also explain the unusual resonances I've noticed
>throughout the other sonatas in this collection. After listening to these
>recordings, other performances sound flat in comparison. It's amazing what
>a difference the tuning of the piano makes in the overall quality of the
>music.

An embedded message was scrubbed...