Rims with Chines

Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:23:04 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: March 03, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: Rims with Chines

> Congratulations! That's one less thing grinning nastily at you from the
> corner. Now you need to get started on that NC plasma cutter for the
plates.

That stuff is obsolete, Ron. It's waterjet cutters we want.

> Out of curiosity, are you biscuit joining your chines (chine spline)? I
> know you'll want something as "forever" as possible, and I just had this
> wonderful vision of through dovetails or box joints as decorative accents.
> Probably just need more sleep.

I thought about box joints but have ruled them out. I'm going with biscuits
for the prototype and working out a way to do a continuous spline for later
instruments. There will also be a reinforcing piece on both the inside and
outside of the joint. It should end up fairly rigid.

Good night, Ron.

Del