A440 Standard - SHIFT OF LOCATION?

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:04:18 -0500

All-
First, I'm surprised that this issue was allowed to remain on this list
(ptg-l) for this long.  Except for the parts about the Guild resolutions,
it seems more appropriate for PIANOTECH, or CAUT.  Second, I don't think
the subject is dead, just confused.  Besides, we need something to fill in
until the next installment of "The Misbehavior of Soundboards".

The issues raised cover:
Perfect Pitch
PTG standards
Technical and business aspects of pitch change
Tonal effects of pitch alteration
Purpose of effectiveness of international standards

In my opinion, the issue of Perfect Pitch has no bearing on the discussion
of pitch standard.  That some individuals are gifted (or cursed), some
extremely so, has nothing to do with the desirability of a standard.  There
was a worthy post to CAUT  from David Ilvedson (as well as Don Rose) on
Jan. 29 titled  "Fw: Perfect Pitch"    which reprinted an interesting
article about Diana Deutsch, as well as providing some great web sites.

http://www.provide.net/~bfield/whatabs.html

http://www.provide.net/~bfield/abs_pitch.html

What I miss in these discussions is the historical perspective.  I know
it's out there, I just don't have the information.  Clearly, A440 is as
arbitrary a standard as A438, or A435, or any historical pitch, not to
mention the highly elevated British Military Concert Pitch.  (This, unless
you share the belief of some that 435, or Verdi pitch is directly derived
from the vibrations of the universe.)

Can anyone refer me to source material regarding the establishment of pitch
standards during the last 200 - 300 years?
My limited education would necessitate such material being in English.

I am cross posting this to pianotech & caut lists to broaden responses to
my last question.  I hope it doesn't create more confusion.

Oh yes, regarding floating pitch.  While I practice it to a degree, I think
A439 - 442 is unacceptably wide for any but the loosest of situations.  To
me, anything under 440 is unacceptable.  I think of floating as between 440
and 441.5 for a A440 standard.  The standard most likely represents the
lowest acceptable pitch in any particular pitch environment, thus, allowing
the BSO piano to float would seem to give a range of 442 to 44? ?

David Skolnik
New York, NY