Shop is a commin'

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 18:53:33 -0800

Greg Newell wrote:

>Rob,
>    Seems as though congratulations are in order, you lucky dog!!! Also
>sounds as if you overfilled it already. Have you left room for the pianos
>your going to work on? What about action storage and or piano storage? This
>is all on residential property? What about waste removal and such? If you
>refinish what about zoning for sprayers? Folks might not say a thing if you
>didn't build a big building. Once you do folks want to know what's going on.
>Very best of luck to you! I hope all goes as smoothly as possible!

Although our property is only about five miles from the L.V. Strip, we
are actually quite rural here.  We are in the SW quadrant which is only
now starting to grow. I imagine it won't be long, since tract homes are
already going up, and there is a huge new golf course/country club on a
man made private lake only a couple miles further down the road. At
present there is still a lot of open space around us but rare to find
any for sale.  It is zoned RE-1 which is "Rural Estates" and is just
beyond the L.V. line, so it is classified as county and not city.  Most
of the lots here range from 1/4 to 2 acres.  Our neighbors all have
horses.  The one on our right has three and a goat, and the one across
the street has horses, three cows, a goat, and a rooster.  The people
around here are very appreciative of this rare setting and are beginning
to get very protective of the neighborhood to make sure it stays this
way.  Someday this will be a very special island as the city grows
around it. We went out of our way to secure a zoning endorsement from
the county so that they can't change the rules on us.

Our getting this place is nothing short of a miracle.  The first owners
were evicted after six months for loan default.  Then a church bought it
and used it while their new building was under construction (a long but
colorful story).  Once their building was completed, they needed to get
out from under the financial obligation of the property in a hurry, so
we got a fantastic deal on it.  We consider ourselves unbelievably
blessed.  The first thing we saw when we walked in the door with the
realtor was a huge cross on the wall left by the church, so we
immediately credited it to divine influence.

Our neighbors are very nice and are aware of our intentions.  In fact
they were pleased to hear about our plans before we closed the sale.  I
don't anticipate any trouble.  The shop will be located behind the house
and away from the street which will conceal most of our activities.  I
plan on planting many trees around it later which will also blend it in.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV