Chines and multi-piece rims

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:43:24 EST

Del writes (and confuses me):

>The continuous bent rim has certain manufacturing advantages but it has
>no acoustical advantages that I am aware of.
 <big snip>
>So, having said all that, there is at least one compelling reason for my
>use of a multi-piece rim: its potential acoustic superiority. I can better
>shape the treble soundboard and I can more easily float the bass end of the
> soundboard.

Greetings,
   Perhaps I am reading it wrong,  but these two statements seem to be taking
different paths. Does "its potential acoustic superiority" refer to the
geometry it makes possible?
   I don't think we can discount the acoustical importance of the rims, since
they are not only massive, but are entrained via their connections in the
string-bridge-soundboard-case-plate-string -etc circle.  Wouldn't the
"impedance" of the rim have a measurable effect?  I know we can use uprights
with their jointed constructions as a case in point,  do they have the same
output as a continuous wrapped grand?  Would it be fair to draw comparisons
with the Lucite cased grand that has been on display( or did it have a wooden
inner rim?)
Regards,
Ed Foote
(I have never installed a soundboard, or untwisted a case, but I have sure
sat in front of'em for a long long time)