Bass "tubby" sound

Christus4@AOL.COM Christus4@AOL.COM
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 21:39:50 EST

'J.",

Take a close look at the hammers, and see if they might be delaminating, i.e.
peeling off the molding.  It might not be apparent from the top if just the
bottom half is coming off, and I think it's more apt to happen first on the
bass hammers.
I think this is a common problem with these pianos, at least I've seen it in
a couple, and it does make for a very "tubby" sound.  Well, more like "dead"
sound.  Sometimes, though, if the felt is loose like this it rubs against its
neighbor on the way back from the string, making it more easily detectable.
Hope this might help, now or in the future.
Keep us apprised.

Chuck Christus, RPT
Flagler Beach and Stuart, FL