False Beats

William R. Monroe pianowrmonroe@hotmail.com
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:22:05 -0700

Kevin,

Not my piano, but my tuning!!  I finished a tuning and was sick.  I kind =
of felt the need to point out the false beats to the client in an effort =
to save face on the tuning.  Essentially demonstrated the problem by =
muting two of the three strings and said that if it is too much of a =
distraction (for his two daughters who play) that we could try a couple =
things to fix them.  What is your take on removing the bridge pins and =
putting epoxy in there and seeing what that does (if they are loose)?

William R. Monroe
PTG Associate
Salt Lake City, UT

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 7:11 PM
  Subject: Re: False Beats

      You know, Bill. False beats are in almost every piano. Is the =
customer complaining, or are you the customer? If the customer doesn't =
seem to notice, then don't bring it up. If it's your piano and you =
really want to get rid of those beats, it may be possible, if you want =
to re-pin and re-notch the bridge, re-radius the bearing bar, and =
re-string. I've come to the conclusion that 90% of all false beats come =
from bridge pins that are either not perfectly aligned with the notch, =
or have some looseness in the bridge. Just my two cents worth. When I =
was new to the trade I went on a quest to find the answer for how to =
quickly and effectively get rid of false beats. Nobody really had the =
answer. Sometimes it can actually be bad wire work, but I really think =
that you could restring a whole section and if that's all you did, you'd =
still have false beats.
      But that's just my opinion.=20

      Wait,,, I just read you posting again,,,,,,,, I missed that part =
about it being a Kimball..     Forget it Bill. Nothing's going to work.

    ----- Original Message -----=20