Bechstein Date

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:06:17 -0500

Darn no newspaper on my rail. The punchings on my front rail pins are cut-up playing cards!

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stéphane Collin" <collin.s@skynet.be>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: Bechstein Date

Oh, David, I have another idea.

Did you try to trace the many technicians interventions by reading the front rail paper punchings ?  It can be funny.  Often, at the factory in Berlin, Bechstein people used newspapers to cut their thin front rail punchings.  More than often, you will find a date in the lower layer of punchings, probably original, surely if they appear with that funny gothic style old days german letter type.
I often get my Bechsteins from United Kingdom, and am often able to trace at what moment they have been imported to U.K., by reading the many different layers of front rail news papers punchings.

Hope this can help.

Stéphane Collin
Brussels, Belgium.