Bechstein Date

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:59:40 -0500

Thank you very much Stéphane for all the great Bechstein tidbits! I used to think mine was built in 1900. Now I am pretty sure that I have absolutely no idea when it was built! Maybe in the 1920s. I'll have to dig further.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stéphane Collin" <collin.s@skynet.be>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: Bechstein Date

Hi David.

In my opinion, and following the Bechstein archive departement, all Bechstein pianos after 1880 or so have the serial number stenciled on the cast iron frame.  This number happen often to be covered or erased by time injury.  So as far as my (small) experience can tell me, the number you find on the soundboard (excepted older models, from before 1880), that is the same than the number you find on the wooden frame or on any case part such as key lid or lyre, is the case number, not the serial number.  From my experience, you  can multiply the case number by two, add a few thousands, and find approximately a number close to the serial number.

In my experience, the rocker-type Schwander action has been replaced by the pilot type action at about the turn of the century.  You will find rocker type action some with the V-shaped (steinway like) repetition spring, some with the screw tightened Schwander patent type repetition spring.  But with the pilot type action, I think there is always a screw tightened type repetition spring, which both lead to suppose the piano is from after 1900.

Anyway, a fishtail case leads to a piano from before 1900, and a continuous one, after.

I think (but am not sure), that between 1880 and 1890 or so, Bechstein used the Isermann action, which is very similar to the Steinway action, but the rockers instead of the pilots.
Then the Schwander action, first with rockers, then whith pilots.
Then, from about 1925 or so, the Langer action, in all points similar to the Schwander action.
Then, from 1940 or so, the Renner action.

This from my own experience.  Please, if someone knows something else, correct me.  Bechstein factory is scarce about those informations.

Hello to all.

Stéphane Collin.