quick advice on damperlever replacement

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:50:27 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/02 3:09:57 PM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
writes:

> So, my question is:
>
> What would be simpler/easier?  Replacing the damper levers WITH damper
> wires?
> (Putting the old damper heads on the new wires and bending every darn one
> of
> them) or replacing the damper levers withOUT damper wires and inserting the
> old wires into the new damper levers?
>
> I guess my real question is:  how are damper wires attached to the levers,
> by
> glue, or just sticking 'em in there?  I can't imagine how difficult or easy
> this might be, never having done it or thought about it before.

The damper levers come with wires. So you have to not only take the wires out
of the plastic ones from the I&P, but also out of the new ones. If you think
that is easier and faster than bending the new wires, then go for it.
Personally I would bend the wires. Take each one, match it up with a new one,
and duplicate the bends using a wire bending tool. In either case, You're
going to have to do some adjustments in the piano when you get done.

> A secondary issue/question: I'll be replacing the plastic jacks, too. I'm
> thinking it'll be easier/quicker to replace the flanges too.  Just soak the
> old ones off and glue the new ones on.  Agree?

If you've got plastic jacks, you're most likely to have plastic wippen
flanges. To take the time to replace the jacks might take more time that to
replace the entire wippen.

> Thanks.  I'm waiting for a response before I order the parts.  (So answer me
> QUICK, darnit!)
>
> Tom Sivak
>
> P.S.
>
> The difference in price between the above options is negligible, and th
> erefore not an issue.

Wim