Soundboard Evaluation

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 23:19:28 -0500

>Well, let's push the board up 1mm. At note E4, the back scale would go from
>a  -2/3° angle to a +2/3° angle, and the front angle would go from a +1/6°
>angle to about +1/4° (I'm just guessing at a 2-inch back scale and a 20-inch
>front scale). I hope I have done my math correctly (I actually had quite a
>bit of advanced math in college, but, well, er, a, some of it has slipped on
>by).
>That seems like a lot of change for a tiny bit of soundboard movement.
>But I do see your point. It doesn't have to roll to produce negative back
>bearing with positive front bearing. Interesting. Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

That looks pretty close. And yes, the stuff does evaporate out of old brain
cells. All of them, near as I can tell, but then how could I tell? It does
seem like a lot of angular change for a small vertical movement, but how
far does a 72' (22M) radius crowned rib of 508mm (20") have to be pushed
down to be flat on top?

Ron N