CA gluing Grand pinblocks & Uprights My take on it

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:19:30 -0400

At 04:18 PM 7/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>On 7/31/02 11:17 AM, "Kdivad@AOL.COM" <Kdivad@AOL.COM> wrote:
>
> > Bill Bremmer wrote;
> >
> > This also is the reason why CA glue is good for repairing stripped screw
> > holes.  I usually put some glue in the stripped hole, dip the screw in the
> > catalyst, then insert the screw.  It goes in easily but within seconds, the
> > glue is cured and initially, the screw is stuck.  But one turn with a
> > screwdriver and the initial bond is broken, leaving a filled gap and a
> sticky
> > surface.  The repaired screw hole often feels like it had been plugged with
> > hard rock maple and redrilled.  If a first attempt at this is less than
> > satisfactory, then a repeat attempt will often work.
> >

> > I don't know how Bill found out the technique I have never told anyone.
>
>The technique is in Steve Brady's Guide to Field Repairs which suggests
>using a mold release (McLube) on the screw. Works very well.
>
>Kent Swafford

I had the misfortune to snap a screw off after sizing the hole with CA glue.
Since then, I always treat the screw with a mold release (McLube or Protek)
and apply the accelerator once the screw is in place (a little deeper
actually).

It only takes one time...

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician