CA gluing Grand Pinblocks.......My take on it

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:32:04 -0700

Newton,
Your Question: "Upon what data or experience do you base that statement?"
(...it will fail eventually).
I base that on the best source I have been able to find: Hobby Shops. We
have a rather big one here in the Portland area. I have talked to several of
their really experienced personell. CA glue is used in a whole bunch of
things in models, etc. In fact, CA use is greatest in the Hobby Industry.
Everyone has said that it will fail eventually. They credit this failure on
the fact that it does break down with time.
On a personal note, the mirror in my car is installed with CA glue, made
specifically for that purpose. Because I drive em til the wheels fall off, I
have had to re-bond the mirror, several times. Several times the mirror was
put on by a professional.
Now, it is possible that they didn't use it properly, but I think that that
is not the case.
Call me a purist or whatever, but I just don't feel that CA has much of a
place in pianos, when a more suitable glue can be used, in just about every
application, but one. I do think that the application of CA to tired,
clunker pinblocks is just fine. It appears to give added life to an already
tired piano.
Case in point, One of our associates makes trips to Africa,
(missionary/piano work/vacation). He has documented that he took an
absolutely UN-Tuneable wreck, (out in the bush), and did the CA treatment
and brought it back to life. It was the only piano in the village, so now
piano music is now part of the village culture, once again. This is a good
thing and definately made me change some of my thinking regarding CA Glue.
However, 30 years of experience and a basic stubborn streak, bends me
towards the "appropiate glue for the appropriate job."
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

I'm never lost, because everyone is telling me where to go. <G>