CA gluing Grand pinblocks & Uprights My take on it

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:29:20 -0700

All,
I have read several comments re. Uprights, where "the only option is to
restring with over size tuning pins." or some other delusional comment about
not being able to replace pin blocks in Uprights. This is just not true.
Albeit, it is difficult to Replace a pin block, intoto, in an Upright, it is
possible and is done by many techs around the world. I do believe it is
easier and more feasible to Plug the existing, (mechanically sound),
pinblock with 3/4", interlocking pinblock plugs. I have done several this
way and have very good success. The time it takes to do, is comparable to
the time it takes to replace a pinblock in a grand. All it takes is a proper
drilling fixture and have at it. Yes, it is work, but saving another GOOD
ole upright is indeed a joy of the rebuilding trade. At least in my shop.
<G>
As to chemically treating a grand rather than replacing the pinblock, I'm
personally against it. However, if it's some stencil PSO from the 1900-19??,
less than 5'3" long and made with substandard whatever, then I have no
problem with it.
Several years ago, I completely redid a 6' Kimball grand, circa 1920's. The
end result was a  magnificent sounding/playing piano. The customer moved to
Minnesota and took very special pains to have it delivered unscathed. When
he called the local tuner for his first tuning, he was very proud of his
grand and showed it off for the tech. The tech's comment was "why bother on
a kimball?" Ouch! Needless to say, the tuner was immediately ushered out of
my former client's home and another tuner was called. I too, was called,
because I had referred my client to this RPT! My former client was livid,
but called me just to assure me that he really loved the work that I had
done to his wonderful piano. The conversation lasted quite a while and I
found him another tech via our directory. After that he was a happy camper.
The reason I tell this story, is that I could have done less than a top
notch job on THAT Kimball, but chose to do it right. Just some food for
thought
On a final note, I personally do not like CA glue for anything other than
temporary repair, because I know that it will fail, eventually.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

We must first understand where we've been before we can tell
where we're going. Squares are part of the equation.<G>