Is there any interest? was Re: no comp.

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:21:45 EDT

joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> Earlier, when this discussion began, I stated that
> Every Year, the convention MAKES a profit. Sometimes more than others, but a
> profit, non the less. This money is not being put to good use, but rather is
> used for some of the frivolous junk that the Board has in their own agendas.

Joe

Kent has already explained the volunteer efforts of the convention. If we
want this to continue to be a member driven organization, then we have to ask
members to step up to the plate, and continue to volunteer. If, as Del has
said, there are members who have opted not to teach any more because they
felt being taken advantage of, then sop be it. I think there are enough
volunteers who will continue to give their time and talents not to have the
PTG suffer. While I agree we might be loosing some terrific instructors, I am
sorry, but we can't have a few instructors hold the rest of the PTG hostage
with a demand for getting paid more to teach, when there are other who will
teach for nothing, or get a small paycheck.

But I digress from my point. You say the Board is frivolously squandering the
profits of the convention. While the convention does make a profit, we had
better be grateful, because it is keeping our dues as low as they are.

In 1999, the convention made a profit of $56,169. The PTG net income was
$31,466. Take away the profit from the convention, and the PTG would have had
a deficit of $24,703.

In 2000, the Convention made a profit of $46,644. The PTG net income was
$3482. Take away the profit from the convention, and the PTG would have had a
deficit of $44,162.

In 2001, the Convention made a profit of $48,838. The PTG had a deficit of
$43,662. Take away the profit from the convention, and the PTG would have had
a deficit of $92,500.

If we start giving the instructors more money, the bottom line will be higher
dues for each individual member. So we either pay members who teach more, and
pay higher dues, or we ask them to teach for the current compensation, and
have lower dues. What would you rather do?

Wim