Understring Felt and Stinging Felt (Braid) ?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:32:57 -0700

Gordon,
What did the piano sound like, before you took the strings off. I.E. was it
a bit wild with unwanted harmonics, etc.? If the answer is yes, then I would
probably add some understringing felt 3/8" to 1/2" wide, no more. If you
don't know the  answer, then you can always weave some braid in after, if
the Harmonics thing is a bit much. Some times, if the piano doesn't have
enough "Zing" to it, I will add brass 1/2 round or oval round bars, in the
appropriate places, to "bring it up". This will sometimes aid in better
string rendering between the tuning pin and the speaking length. (Lots of
reasons for doing this.)
I've seen a lot of Small pianos that didn't have anything to stop the
"non-speaking lengths" from sounding. I suspect to "make the piano sound
bigger". <G>
One thing, If you are having the bass/tenor strings "scaled", then you'd be
well advised to scale the rest of the piano, as well. The reason being,
that, #1 Starr pianos are bit suspect in their Quality Control and in their
choice of "scaling", IMHO. How do I know this? I own a 7'10" one. (Nuff said
there!) More often than not I find scales to be pretty screwed up, in the
tenor/treble/upper treble area. Some due to poor bridge making/notching and
some just bad "pirated" scales being used. So, take that few extra hours to
take the speaking lengths and re-calc that treble as well.
Just my thoughts.
Best Regards
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Squares Are Grand Too!<G>