no comp. was Re: Saying "No" (was Convention is focused)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:51:48 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/02 12:51:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> As may be, I'd like to see us work at presenting enough challenging and
> exciting stuff at our conventions to draw out some of those we haven't seen
> for a while. And I realize some efforts are being made to do just this. It
> will not going to be easy--probably impossible--without some policy
> changes, however. And it may not be cheap and we're basically cheap folks.

This is where I would like to see some ideas come out. What subjects,
courses, ideas would attract those who feel the convention isn't offering
enough? Would there be enough of these kinds of classes to fill out a
schedule, or are there going to be only a few, like your environmental class,
that hopefully would attract some of the technicians that no longer attend?
The second problem with this is, if you have some new classes next year, what
will have to be offered the following year, and the next? Is there ever going
to be enough new material to have those technicians you're talking about,
coming back year after year?

The next question is, who is going to teach those classes? I know you spend a
lot of time preparing new classes, like the class I just mentioned. But who
else is willing to take the time, and present it, with little or no
compensation? Are we gong to run into the same problem? Are the advanced
technicians who have given of their time and talent for all these many years,
and felt "taken advantage of," be willing to step up to the plate, and do it
again?

We need new ideas, taught be old technicians. But are there enough new ideas,
and old technicians willing to teach them, to entice other old technicians to
come to the convention to take the classes?

> Wim, I realize we differ on this. I place little monetary value on the
> social aspects of the convention. Sure, when I'm there it's really great to
> see friends in the business from time to time. But PTG conventions are not
> my idea of either a social life or a vacation. They are part of my business
> life. I doubt I will ever attend a PTG convention as a purely social
> function. As such, they are a business expense and I have to justify them
> (at least partially) as a business activity. That does not mean I have to
> make money on my participation, but I would prefer that since my
> participation is primarily for the benefit of others, it not cost me overly
> much.

Del, what I am about to say comes from the heart, with all the respect and
admiration for your talents and contribution. But what's in it for you to
make the sacrifice to take the time and spend the money to teach at a
convention, or even a seminar? If teaching at a convention is a business
expense, with little or no monitory benefit, why go to all the trouble? As
you said, why not find something more worth while to do? Not that I want you
to quit coming, but what's bringing you back year after year?

I do know this. Whenever I have developed a new class, I learn more about the
subject than I knew before I started. I asked my son, Chris, who, as you
know, is a partner is CPA firm, what the Anderson/Enron debacle meant for his
firm. He sent a me a long letter explaining how it will benefit his company.
He thanked me for asking, because it forced him to write down the thoughts
that had been running around in his mind. He was able to verbalize some ideas
he had about the subject. That was important for him. I am the same way. I
have ideas, but it's not until I write them down that they make sense. Is
that the way it is with you? Is that why you continue to come up with new
ideas?

> >> Take care, my friend. One of these we're going to figure it all out.
>>
> Probably. About ten years
> after (to most everyone's great relief) I'm dead and buried sounds about
> right.
>
> Regards,
>
> Del

Well, maybe they'll figure it out after we're both gone. But it certainly
will not be with great relief.

Wim