Stainless Steel Wire/Ron Nossaman's question

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 19:12:29 +0200

Hello Joseph Garret,

I apologize for not answering before, , but I had a really busy  end
of the year.
I received your data sheet, thanks a lot, these are very interesting.
I've seen that you ask yourself questions about the "Pure sound" iron
wire, that is made in Holland.
I did not use it myself yet, but I've seen some pianos stringed with
it, and indeed the sound is more soft and pure than with modern
string. I've seen some other stringed with stainless steel wire (not
purposely designed for pianos , but used by a "famous" restorer of
Erards in Holland), and I don't like the sound at all, bland, white
and harsh, no color with this last, and I had a few strings breaking
in the middle of an Erard grand.

My friend Philippe Petit :  eurl.petit@libertysurf.fr use this kind of
string routinely on pianos around the beginning of the century (since
1915) . He will tell you about himself eventually, while I am not sure
he master very well English.

The wire is used mostly because of the less tension it needs , and
because of the mellower sound it gives.

I hope these comments can help, don't hesitate to ask if you want me
to ask something particular about it, he tells me it is easy to string
with this wire, make eyelets and so on.

I would say that I will consider use it actually if I where to string
a piano designed for this kind of wire.

open you are well, if you go on for some holidays, have a good time.

Friendly Regards.

Isaac OLEG

P.S. I want to use leather for bushings on a Yamaha G2 piano for a
conservatory, but I am concerned by the leather using the brass pins,
or may be making noise with them. Have you any info about it ? Thanks.