Humorous dilemna ...

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:34:28 -0500

This is a real dilemma and kinda funny. What would you advise. Remember: =
The customer is always right ...

Customer has a 1910 Steinway "O" (very nice, he and the piano). He is =
conservatory trained and fussy so ... when I pointed out to him on my =
first visit that he was missing a bi-chord wound string and it was =
throwing off the hammer and damper, etc, so it needed to be replaced, he =
asked where I would get the string.

I told him that I order direct from Mapes, etc., etc. He said "No thank =
you, I really insist on a genuine Steinway string".

I said "okay," jumped through Steinway's hoops ("Just tell us what you =
want in an email and we'll invoice you.") and ordered a "genuine" =
Steinway string.

Of course it came from Mapes--shipped to me but invoiced to Steinway who =
had charged me about 3 times the direct Mapes price.

Dilemma: Do I share the joke with him and just charge him what Steinway =
charged me, plus the shipping, or do I keep my mouth shut, throw a =
markup on the string, and REALLY stick it to him for one pretty little =
copper-clad wire?

Alan Barnard
Missouri