When it's probably shot

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:22:25 -0500

At 12:01 PM -0500 8/18/02, Alan R. Barnard wrote:
>  a fictional overdamper sitting in an unheated/uncooled garage in
>New Orleans for 40 years. I might, in such a case, tell the caller
>that I would charge a service call fee if we didn't end up
>tuning/repairing it. I actually had a customer who had stored a
>piano in New Orleans as I described but it was an old Gulbransen
>spinet. ALL of the flanges and whippen elbows were made of that old
>plastic that crumbles to dust. Oddly, because it was "Mom's Piano"
>they paid me to replace all the flanges and elbows and I now tune it
>every six months--even though the piano certainly did not have
>enough resale value to justify the expense.

Now why does everyone pick on New Orleans when they want a picture of
neglect and decay? I have seen a piano stored in a shed in Jamaica
Plain (frozen then overheated) that was in much worse shape than any
I've seen in the South, barring the sad case of the rosewood S&S
square that had been kept on a patio under a tarp for the two years
since Mama passed. It about broke my heart........
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
New Orleans