"PTG Convention is focused on teaching...."

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:27:26 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/02 12:44:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> Oh, I agree. I was impressed by those who exhibited at our most recent
> convention. But over three decades of observation have convinced me there
> are always going to be a certain percentage of us who are not going to
> avail ourselves of their services. And we, as an organization, are going to
> continue to push for a variety of classes at our conventions to cater to
> that percentage.
>
> Del

That's because the PTG is trying to play both sides of the ball at the same
time. We're trying to cater to the "professionals," those who are making a
living in this industry, and the "students," those trying to learn the
business. As long as we are telling wanna be tuners to join the Guild to
learn the ropes, we're going to have to offer classes for them. The reason we
keep seeing the same instructors teaching the same classes over and over
again, especially the beginner type courses, is because we're attracting new
tuners all the time. That is a decision the PTG has made.

Personally I don't think the PTG has done enough to cater to the beginners. I
have been advocating for years that we need a set curriculum for beginner
tuners to follow. But every time I bring the subject up the first thing
people tell me is that is a Professional organization, and that we are not a
school for beginners.

Not to take anything away from what Randy, NBSS or Western Ontario are doing,
but I think the PTG should become a "school" for beginner piano tuners. It
will only help us in the long run. But if we're going to do it, lets do it
right, with a curriculum, qualified instructors, and a plan to get from point
A to point B.

Wim