When it's probably shot

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:07:04 -0500

Clyde,

To answer your question, "yes, sort of."  I don't "condemn" pianos, but give
every reason to believe that it has a high probability of fatal problems.
Had someone call yesterday w/ a mirror upright. What I told them was, "In my
experience, that kind of piano is nearing the end of its useful life and
sometimes cannot be tuned or needs lots of work first before tuning.." The
customer understood and still wants me to look at it because "it's the only
piano I have." I told her that I will charge for a service call whether or
not the piano can be tuned, and that's OK w/ her. OK w/ me!

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS
  Friends,
  Do any of you condemn a piano without ever seeing it?  There are times
when I feel like I probably should, but the client is looking for some
professional input and hopefully a miracle.

  I got a call.  A large family (eight kids) has a piano that was given to
them four years ago.   It sounds tinny, some of the keys don't work, and the
former owner told them it can't be tuned to standard pitch.  The kids are
taking lessons.  Money may very well be tight; I didn't ask.  Such service
calls can be an adventure, to say the least!  Thoughts?

  Regards, Clyde