Stainless Steel Wire

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:38:01 -0700

Richard,
"...the maker of this stuff recommends it for any instrument older than
1910 - 1920, saying it has more similaritees to older wire then other modern
wires do."
HMMMMM?
I've been trying to get some REAL specifics from Malcolm Rose, regarding
this wire. So far he's being evasive. When we are able to compare breaking
strengths, cross-sectional mass, etc., then, and only then, will it be
apparent if this wire is "appropriate" for "instrument(s) older then 1910 -
1920...".
This date, 1910 -1920, bothers me, because by that time "modern" piano wire
had been used by, just about every manufacturer, since about 1880!
My main concern is the relationships regarding tension relationships with
size/size. Also, if this wire is like most stainless steel, it is softer
than regular steel, (in a cold state), and will probably not last as long
before it fails. Sheesh! I don't want to have to re-re-string a square I did
today, 10 years from now!
I hope this clears up my reluctance with this wire. My personal feeling is
that this wire, when properly applied, (scaling-wize), would be ideal in
high humidity situations. And possibly where a softer overall tone would be
desired.
All this is pure speculation until we get some REAL facts from the maker.
Until that time, I will just consider it to be a manufacturer expanding his
Sales Area with the promo department putting the appropriate "spin" on it.
(Flame suit firmly in place!)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Squares Need Love Too!<G>