bolstering knuckles?? how dense??

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:58:23 -0600

Humm,
Anyone ever think about the amount of springiness needed for just the right
amount of feel in the knuckle jack conection?
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike and Jane Spalding" <mjbkspal@execpc.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 8:33 PM
Subject: needle for bolstering knuckles??

> List,
>
> I recently discovered that by bolstering the knuckles on a well-worn grand
action, I can avoid all that capstain turning and let-off rail raising that
I hate to do!  I've been using a modified darning needle to pull a 2mm wide
strip of bushing cloth through the knuckles.  The foldover at the eye is
very difficult to pull through, and it stretches the buckskin more than I'd
like.  In Chicago, one of the instructors (if I could remember who, I would
contact him individually) described a flat needle with some kind of clip to
grip the end of the action cloth, that he uses for knuckle bolstering.  He
called it a glovers needle, and said the supply houses carry them.  Well,
the supply house glovers needles are triangular cross-section voicing
needles, aren't they?  So does anyone know what this flat needle is really
called, and where I can get one?