Shellac vs. lacquer

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:10:56 -0700

Sanding sealer and thinner at 1:1 is pretty strong stuff.  I would be
careful or you will put a rock in the shoulder of that hammer.  Lacquer
thinner, BTW, is mostly acetone plus a bunch of other stuff that aids in the
spreading and drying of lacquer, especially when sprayed.  Acetone will dry
faster and is less toxic.  Both, however, should be used with adequate
ventilation.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Chick (EarthLink)" <tune4@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 16, 2002 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: Shellac vs. lacquer

David
Several years ago I had a pharmacist order some for me.  It came in 4oz.
bottles and did not need to be reduced.  Use with plenty of ventilation or
apply to hammers when you are laying down!?!  Good luck!
Paul Chick
P.S. I didn't like it as well as lacquer.  It broke down too fast.  Try
sanding sealer and lacquer thinner, a 1:1 ratio in very small amounts to the
shoulders just outside the crown.  Let us know how it works for you.