hammer softener?

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:44:26 -0700

Please explain how you sugarcoat with needles...

Greg Casper
San Jose, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of SUSAN P SWEARINGEN
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 3:08 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: hammer softener?

I'm a fairly new technician and I feel my own piano (a Yamaha U1) is a
little to bright and harsh.  Using a 3-needle voicer with the needles
extended 1/16", I sugarcoated the strike points in the treble hammers and
boy, what a huge differnece it made.  No more "ping" and a much softer and
richer sound.  It only took 5 minutes but the piano now sounds like a new
instrument.  So, why use softener when a little sugarcoating seems to do the
trick?  Maybe the softener lasts longer.

Corte Swearingen