Lighter or Heavier ?

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:28:31 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2002 9:22:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,=20
collin.s@skynet.be writes:

>=20
>=20
> Thanks, Terry, for your patient reply.
>=20
> St=E9phane Collin.
>=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20

e=20
statement  is only completely true and workable if the funky key geometry is=
=20
remedied otherwise despite the action parts chosen to defeat the wrong key=20
leverage your limitations are still to much  hammer weight and too much lead=
=20
in keys. I'm working with a 1920 Baldwin 5 ft. 8 inch grand that proves the=20
point. Keys are full of lead in the bass with 4 leads still at note 40.=20
Horribly heavy static touch weight ,70-80 grams
     I moved the capstans 3/8 of an inch to try to overcome the key leverage=
=20
and match the only  choice of shank and wippen for this odd beast available=20
and I still had to shoot for low hammer /strike weights. Note 4 needed no=20
more than  8 grams ,note 16- 7.5 grams note 40-6.5 grms ,you get the idea. =20
Even at this I'll only be able to remove 1 or possibly 2 leads in the bass.=20
(7-8 per key)
    The true fix would be new keys and leverages to match the parts availabl=
e=20
which wasn't an option in this case. I tried.
   It will work but I've never moved capstans that far. Wow!