Voicing the new piano

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:39:20 +0000

"I remember talking to David Durbin from Yamaha about steaming hammers and
he wasn't too keen on it."

Same here - I talked with him at the convention booth and he was not hearing
my take on steam voicing.

"I am interested in the steaming procedure but
>have heard that it is very easy to oversteam hammers and once you've done
>that, they are ruined.  Can anyone give a specific procedure for hammer
>steaming?"

After attending Roger Jolly's class on steam voicing in Chicago, I am
convinced that steam voicing is just one more great "tool" to pick from when
voicing.  My only complaint so far is that finding a 12" by 4" piece of
linen today, it was hopeless.

Ask Roger Jolly to send you a copy of the handout from his class.  It's
good.

Jay Mercier

>Corte Swearingen

Jay Mercier