Disklavier Service

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:52:25 -0400

Yeah! Press down on key numbers 88, 87 and 86 while you pull out the
action. :-) JUST KIDDING!!! Once you see it you'll remember. The beauty of
the Yamaha disklavier is in it simplicity. Fewer connections leaves less
chance to screw something up. Be a little more careful than you would your
standard action as that rail across the top of the hammer shanks can be
messed up if the screws were left a little loose. If you put any pressure
on that rail you could mess up the efficiency of the playback and recording
as that's where it measures hammer movement and velocity. I don't know how
much your doing to the action but watch that you put back everything as you
found it. Most important and to be done FIRST is a record and playback
test. Get a blank disk from the owner and if it's not formatted do that.
Have it record while you play each note chromatically and then soft and
sustain pedals. Have the Dsiklavier play it back to make sure it all works.
This is good insurance to prove everything either worked or didn't when you
got there and hopefully does or still does when you leave!!! Hope this helps!

Greg Newell

At 02:30 PM 7/10/2002, you wrote:
>Hello all: I am going to pull a Disklavier grand action this afternoon to
>ease keys and set blow distance, and have a sudden sense of uncertainty that
>I remember all that is involved in pulling and replacing it. I know about
>the connector plugs on either side of the action. Anything else involved in
>doing this? Thanks, Patrick

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net