Bridge design

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:04:14 -0700

  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2002 7:20 PM
  Subject: Re: Bridge design

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Keith Roberts=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: July 06, 2002 7:52 PM

    Maybe gluing the bridge cap on in the crowned position and the =
bridge to the sound board in the crowned position, like Dale does, will =
add the necessary impedance to the treble end of the bridge.=20
  It's not the treble end of the long bridge that is in question here. =
It's the bass end of the long bridge. And no amount of crowning the =
bridge to match the crown of the soundboard is going to affect that. Or =
much else, for that matter.

    Most of the models discussed here on the list, didn't seem to deal =
with the  stiffness added by the glue joints in a laminated structure. =
Usually underestimated and throws that kink into the reality/theory gap =
along with a few of the other observartions Dale has made.
  Would you care to explain this a bit more? How does stiffness added by =
the glue joints in a laminated structure -- assuming there is any -- =
affect the impedance of the very end of the long bridge?

  Del