convention sites (campuses)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:30:54 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/02 4:42:10 PM Central Daylight Time, sckline@attbi.com
writes:

> Wim, I haven't crunched any real numbers, but your figuring below seems to
> be leaving out a lot.  You seem to be assuming that the space used and
> sleeping accommodations will be the same cost per room as a hotel charges.
> I doubt that a college will charge the same fee per night for a dorm room
> as a hotel charges. We'd need some real numbers to see how it would all add
> up. My bet is that the universities will be trying hard to make their
> packages attractive, since if their space isn't used in times when school
> isn't in session, they get nothing for it.
>
> Susan

Susan

The only number I used were the attendance and the fee the university charged
to rent space. With 2000 attendees for church group, I presumed they would
use about as much space as a PTG convention. I will admit that it was a
guess. So the number might not be real.

But I wanted to point out that the registration fee was $200 for 2000 people.
Why would it be that high, if not to pay for space the university is renting?
That is the point I was trying to make. That is something most people do not
think about when they say a university would be a good place.

Someone mentioned that space in a hotel isn't "free." They are right. That is
why we paid $123 per night in Chicago, (including tax). But the university
space isn't free either.

Dorm rooms are inexpensive compared to what a hotel charges. Quite frankly, I
graduated 30 years ago, and I don't want to live in a dorm again. I am
willing to spend a little extra for the privacy, and service. I would agree
that there are people who are willing to sacrifice this, in exchange for a
cheap dorm room. But I am with Jim Baker. If there would be a vote, I would
vote for a hotel. I've worked hard, and I've earned it.

Wim