self tuning piano????

Mark Wisner MWisner@yamaha.com
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:43:51 -0700

John Omnitek, the PianoMation guy, described the "self-tuning" aspect of =
this piano as something the owner would do to keep the piano in tune =
between tunings, NOT as a way to eliminate the need for conventional =
tunings done by (un?)conventional tuners.=20
Considering the above, I can see where this device might raise the piano =
owning publics awarness of tuning and may actually be good for business.  =
But even if it doesn't, since it is not intended to be installed as a =
retrofit, I can't see where it will have much of an impact, at least not =
initially.

Mark Wisner
Yamaha Corporation
mwisner@yamaha.com

>>> Wimblees@AOL.COM 07/02/02 10:07AM >>>
In a message dated 7/2/02 10:25:32 AM Central Daylight Time, pianobuilders@=
olynet.com writes:=20

Well, I'll not go on. It's clear that we must trash every new idea that=20
comes along in this business.=20

Del=20

You make some very good points. I will agree that somewhere down the road =
this might be a very good workable contraption, which might revolutionize =
the music world. Cars and planes were invented, and it developed whole new =
industries. But you just don't walk into a hanger and get in a plane. You =
can't even drive a car without a license. Yes, almost every one knows how =
to drive, but you have to have some degree of training. But what this =
contraption is attempting to do, at this point, is like asking the run of =
the mill customer to buy a car with a special contraption that automaticall=
y changes the oil, adjust the timing, and even clean the spark plugs. If =
you asked a mechanic about something like that, they would have the same =
reaction I have. It isn't that the invention is useless. I list don't =
think it is something that should be sold "over the counter."=20

Wim=20