Fabric Softener/Hammers

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 07:58:52 -0400

At 9:49 PM -0400 7/1/02, Susan Lund wrote:
I need to brighten the tone on a set of grand hammers that have been
treated with fabric softener.  I would appreciate any suggestions.
Also any comments on this particular practice,  positive and/or
negative.

You didn't say what kind of hammers these were, but after a stiff
does of Downy, little matter. Treat them as you would raw NY Steinway
hammers, reconstituting the tone by reinforcing. Shoulders first,
then the crown as needed. Yes, reinforcer can attach to slimed fibers.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Filing the bridgepins sure puts a sparkle on the restringing, but is
best done before the plate is re-installed"
     ...........recent shop journal entry