Peterson 490ST Strobe tuner....good?

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 00:43:16 +0200

 Charles Neuman wrote:

>> From: "Richard Brekne" <richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no>
>> The best lesson I can suggest is by taking Tunelab 97 and do the
>following
>> simple exercise....<snip>
>
>Thanks Richard. That's pretty much what I was thinking of as a rough
>start. One tricky thing is when you want to switch from 6:3 octaves to
>something else, at some point in the piano. You'd have to do it smoothly
>somehow. And I'm curious how to reconcile the info from more than one test
>note if there are conflicts.

Actually,, thats kind of one of the things I am looking at in useing the 12th
as the holding point. In keeping any particular interval type at a constant
beat rate... you automatically curve all other types for that interval... and
ditto for other intervals and their types.

Keeping a constant beat rate for the 12th (and I use the perfect 12th for ease
right now and because it actually works pretty good), causes the different
octave types to develope along very predictable lines... or curves as it were.
And whats neat about it is that they seem to rather make these exact
transitions quite smoothly, and well within what we otherwise expect from these
kinds of octave stretching schemes.

>By the way, back to the discussion of the Peterson, you CAN tune a custom
>stretch with a Peterson 490ST based on the inharmonicity in a particular
>piano. You just have to do it manually.  Every octave or so you can
>calculate how much that octave should be stretched, and then spread that
>stretch evenly throughout all 12 notes.

Kind of figured so... I  remember years ago fooling around with a strobe tuner,
didnt know what I was doing really, but my first tendancy was to use it much
like I use Tunelab now.. manually referencing already tuned notes to get
frequencies for notes to tune.

>Also, since we're complaining about the limitations of the 490ST, doesn't
>the Yamaha PT-100 have the same limitations? It's my understanding that it
>has presets for various Yamaha pianos. Since Yamaha is known to be fairly
>consistent in their manufacturing, it's probably a good ETD for tuning
>Yamaha pianos.

Dont know anything about the PT 100 myself. Would be interested to hear more
tho..

Cheers

RicB

>Charles