Ray T. Bentley Ray@Bentley.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:21:34 -0600

Stephane,

Be sure the hammers are as smooth as you can get them!  Use progressively
finer grades of sandpaper until you get them very smooth!  Gang filing with
large sheets of sandpaper work best.  Virgil Smith made a fine presentation
on this in Kansas City a few years ago.  The tone will sparkle without bein=
harsh.  Of course, overly hard hammers may require some needling, but
smoothness is absolutely essential to beautiful tone.

--=20
Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Alton, IL
ray@bentley.net
www.ray.bentley.net

The difficult, I do right away.  The impossible takes a little longer.

From: St=E9phane Collin <collin.s@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:24:59 +0100
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>

Hello.

When I do the voicing of a piano, I am often confronted with this problem :
how can I reduce the agressivity of the attack, without loosing the
beautiful overtones in the body of the sound ?  When dealing with a set of
hammers that sound agressive in a particular piano and trying to cure the
agressiveness, I always end up with a mellow sound and substancial loss of
power.  While some times, I have pianos that are and clear, and powerful,
yet not agressive.  Any ideas ?  Thank you.

St=E9phane Collin (Brussels, Belgium)