Baldwin L Buzz

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:15:51 -0700

At 12:42 PM 1/18/02 -0500, Tommy wrote:

>the ribs unglued but the board not cracked. Oh...I'm glad it is you looking
>for this buzz and not me. Solving buzzing problems in most cases is most
>distressing.

Once again I'll put in a plug for my favourite stress-reliever for finding
noises in a piano... a cheap mechanic's stethoscope with a removable long
probe on the end. They're available at car-parts stores for about $10 or on
the WWW for half that. By placing the probe on various parts of the piano
you'll soon be able to pinpoint the exact location of any noise and thus
help reduce your stress level in minutes. Be sure to put a small piece of
masking or electrical tape on the end of the probe so it doesn't scratch
the piano.

Now if someone could come up with a device that will play the offending
note repeatedly so you don't have to play Twister hitting the key on a
grand and manipulating the probe when there's no one else around we'd have
it made!

While we're talking about buzzes there's one that we sometimes cause simply
by the placement of tools on the instruments upon which we're working. To
solve that problem and perhaps many others we run into there's an
interesting product sold for a few dollars under various names that is
marketed to line drawers and shelves in recreational vehicles. It's a
rubberized woven product that comes in 12x1 foot rolls in various colours
and you can cut off as much or as little as you need. I've also used it
under carpet runners, between mattresses and box springs so they don't
slide around and even between stored dishes so they don't rattle. If you
use an ETD put a piece under it and it'll help prevent it from moving from
where you put it. Use a piece large enough to place your tools on as you
remove them from the case to protect a table or hardwood floor, and have
another one handy for the piano. You'll find many uses for it and your
customers will appreciate the extra care you're taking with their home and
their instrument.

Regards...

                 John