square grand

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:35:40 -0500

On Friday, January 11, 2002, at 10:11 AM, Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 1/11/02 8:07:22 AM Central Standard Time,=20
> sheisstunning@earthlink.net (sarah reynolds)
> writes:
>

> hi, i hope you can help me.
> i have a square grand

> Just yesterday, I had to appraise an old Chickering square grand. =A0I=20=

> regret to say that I put on the appraisal form: "No market value". =A0

I agree that it probably has "no market value" as a musical instrument.=20=

The question that looms in the back of my mind (after I tell my=20
customers the same thing about their worn out ancient no name grand) is=20=

what it's true "furniture" or "antique mode" value is. Have you recently=20=

gone to a furniture store and looked at the prices for dining room=20
tables, desks, etc. (new or used)? Perhaps the optimum value of that=20
square would be when its plate, strings, and action are removed, and=20
fully converted to an "antique table."
That said, I'm frequently distressed by the unsuspecting who do purchase=20=

worn out but pretty "pianos" (squares, cottage pianos) at antique=20
dealers, thinking that "a tuning" will make it playable for Janey's=20
first music lesson.
Patrick Draine

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available