Wim/Pitch raise experiment

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:41:11 EST

In a message dated 1/10/02 12:50:36 PM Central Standard Time,
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

> Wim,
>     You apparently did not read my post. How unfortunate. If you did you
> would easily have noticed that I did not advocate at all that the customer
> should make sacrifices such as you mention merely to have the piano up to
> pitch. Tsk Tsk Wim. Very bad form. Greg

Greg

I did read your post, but after I sent this one out. I was referring to your
comment on how great the piano sounds up to pitch. I agree. What I sense, not
from you, but from some of the tuners, and I have had this expressed by some
of my customers, that piano tuners are sometimes to adamant, too pushy, to
insistent, that a piano be brought up to pitch, the hammers are shaped, the
screws tightened, keys leveled, if not bushed, etc., before they can tune it.
Some piano tuners have been known to brow beat the customer into spending
money they don't have. Although, as Dale pointed out, it is not in our place
to tell a customer how to spend their money, unfortunately, some customers
feel embarrassed, or are not strong willed enough, to say no. These piano
tuners, I feel, want to have the piano sound and play good for their own
gratification, regardless of the customer's well being.

Maybe I'm getting too emotional and sentimental about this. But I think we
owe it to our customers to be more aware of their situation. I don't want our
profession to get a reputation that we are sharks, with a used car salesman
attitude, pushing our service on them like an insurance salesman.

Wim