Wim/Pitch raise experiment

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:00:29 EST

joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> Wim,
> You are such a woose! "Why chance it"?!! to get the piano at pitch and have
> the tuning be more effective and relevant to making MUSIC! I maintain, if
> the piano, (the whole piano), cannot be tuned to standard pitch or it's
> designed pitch, then it needs, either to be repaired or trashed. It's just
> that simple. Any tuner that, without total knowledge of the customers needs,
> (current and future), tunes a piano a 1/2 tone flat, usually because he
> doesn't want a string to break, is not a good tech IMO. This is usually
> because that tooner does not carry any string stock, etc. and besides,
> usually couldn't fix a hang nail w/o drawing major blood.
> Just MHO.
> Joe Garrett, RPT

Thanks, Joe, for calling me a "woose." (whatever that is). I guess it's a
compliment, since I know you wouldn't say anything derogatory about me :).
The truth is, however, I don't do pitch raises on 100 year old piano, because
of the possible problems it might occur, EXCEPT, if the customer is willing
to pay for any damage to the piano if I do raise the pitch. If a customer
asks me to raise pitch, then I will do it. And perhaps only one out of 10 or
15 pianos have any thing happen to. But for the most part, customers who have
those older pianos usually don't have the money to spend on repairs.
Sometimes they don't even have enough money to pay for a tuning. So the last
think I want to do is create more problems than the customer wants, or is
willing to pay for.

Wim