Puzzler: damper squeek

Ted Simmons ted@yourlink.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:10:04 -0800

I had the same problem on a good quality grand piano just last week.  I
lubricated everything in sight but the squeak was still there.  I finally
found the problem. The pitman dowel had a metal pin in it and the damper
lifter tray, which was also metal, had a felt punching glued to it so the
pitman dowel pin wouldn't make noise when the pedal was depressed.  Well,
the felt punching came unglued and the pitman dowel was rubbing,
metal-to-metal, and squeaking every time the pedal was depressed. I re-glued
the felt punching and the squeak went away.

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL