The 'creek' that won't go away

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:41:36 -0500

Phil,

I'm glad you posted this problem, because I've never run into the keybed causing
a creak.  It gives me one more place to look for those elusive noises that drive
me nuts.

I don't know the answer to your question below, but I will give you my best
guess.  As an illustration, think of petting a dog that has short wiry hair on
its back.  If you stroke the dog one way, your hand goes over the hair
smoothly.  If you stroke it the opposite way, an entirely different sensation.

Somewhere along the crack the wood is not completely separated.  The wood grain
may be oriented in such a way that it glides noiselessly in the one direction
but in the other direction it "catches," similar to the dog illustration above.
The obvious difference is that with the dog you're dealing with the sense of
touch, while with the piano you're dealing with the sense of hearing.

Regards,
Clyde