more refinishing questions...

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:53:46 -0500

Every refinisher has their favorite method of refinishing, which may or may
not meet your preferences/resources/whatever. I suggest you might find it
worthwhile to snuggle up with a few good books on refinishing and read about
the entire process, the advantages and disadvantages of each method, etc.
There are many quality books available. I get most of my refinishing
supplies at Homestead Finishing Products. They also have several good books
available at:  http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/publications2.htm   Titles
include:

Great Wood Finishes - A Step-by-step Guide to
Beautiful Results

Brushing Varnishes, Lacquer & Shellac

French Polishing

Hand-Applied Finishes

Almost everyone ends up spraying either nitrocellulose lacquer or
water-based lacquer/polyurethane/whatever. But if you are trying to
experiment with finishes and don't want to spend the bucks on spray
equipment, then read all about it, pick one, roll up your sleeves and give
it a go!

Good luck! It can be rewarding......and boy, it sure can be frustrating!

Terry Farrell